Friday, March 22, 2013

My Kapsch Class Case

I haven't blogged in a long time, it's all on Facebook now, but I am so excited that I have to share this with the whole world, not just my Facebook friends. Last March, I finished making my beautiful cello. A short time before it was finished, I found a cello case in a used junk shop for $5. I did some repairs on it and it has done its job now for a year, but it is tired and I really wanted a new case.



(My handmade cello, viola and violin)

I shopped online and saw all the offerings available in Canada and the USA, but nothing really excited me. Then I stumbled on Kapsch Class Cases in Zagreb, Croatia. Not only are their cases very light, but they are a beautiful shape and I could get any colour that I wanted, and have it either plain or I could design my own. I spent a lot of time googling, but couldn't find any testimonials.

I decided several times that I was just going to buy something here in Canada, but I kept coming back to Kapsch. I was so hesitant to deal with an unknown (here) company on the other side of the world. After many messages back and forth with the wonderful people at Kapsch and a Facebook message to someone whose case was posted on their Facebook page I decided to do it.

I wanted my case to look Canadian, and particularly, reflect this beautiful Haliburton area of Ontario. Autumn is my favourite time of the year and one of the reasons is the beautiful colours of the leaves.





(The beautiful village of Haliburton)

It was such a pleasure to do business with Vedran. I sent him the exact colour (the RGB numbers which I never knew about before) and a collection of maple leaf pictures, along with a general idea of what I was thinking. They sent me a form to fill in with the exact measurements of my cello. 

I must say at this point that I was really anxious about wiring a significant amount of money to the other side of the world. I tend to be suspicious and having taken many fraud reports when I was working, I had some concerns, but I felt pretty good about it after all of the emails back and forth.

The hardest part has been waiting (approximately 8 weeks) to actually have it in my hands.

(The trip my case took from Zagreb, Croatia to Haliburton, Canada)

Much to my surprise, after it was shipped, it arrived by post from Zagreb, Croatia to Haliburton, Canada in less than a week. So here it is, my gorgeous cello case.







I couldn't be happier. The case is everything I hoped for; beautiful, light, and protects my cello well. The transaction with was smooth, professional and friendly. The price was no more than if I'd bought a B@m case. If you're hesitating because Croatia seems so far away, go for it. You'll be glad you did. 

Thanks again Vedran & Tajana. Feel free to use any or all of this post.



4 comments:

Lauras Garden said...

I hesitate even ordering from the States (all those surprise fees) so I understand your uncertainty to order from the other side of the world. Glad you shared.

Unknown said...

Hello, I am curious how the case is holding? Esthetics are important but have you discovered any issues during every day use? Thinking to purchase one. Thanks
Kristian

Fiddling Granny said...

Hi Kristian,

I have not had any issues with my case at all. My cello sits in it beautifully and snugly. I'm sitting here trying to think of something negative to say about it and can't come up with a thing.

During the course of the year, I have acquired a few tiny 'dings', but nail polish comes in such wacky colours now, I found some the same colour as my case and it covers them perfectly. Most bumps into door frames and such come off with a soft cloth or a Mr Clean Magic Eraser.

Although it's pricy, it's no more expensive than if I'd bought a BAM and my friend's BAM scratches up really easily.


I play in a cello choir with 8 other cellists and they all have 'cello case envy'.


I have absolutely no regrets, I'm still thrilled with it.

Wendy

Unknown said...

excuse me, I'm thinking of buying a new cello case and I'm very interested in Kapsch, but I can't find the prices on their website or anywhere else on the net, you said you paid it about as a BAM,but how much is it?