Thursday, September 10, 2009

My Viola Progress

Several of us pooled our shekels and bought a bending iron for bending the wood for violins, guitars, cello and so on. Bethany and I have both started making violas, and since she's away and I have the bending iron in my hot little hands (Well one finger is hot. Ouch!), I got busy bending the sides and the linings of my viola.
~
Inside of the maple sides of the viola are thin strips of wood (lining) that makes the edges of the sides sturdier and provides a surface for gluing the back and the front on. You can see in this picture that I've installed the linings on one side (the one showing). After I remove the sides from the mould, I'll put the linings on the reverse side as well, they're all prepared, they just need to be glued into place.

I've got a decent start on the scroll and neck too. Now I can go back to carving the front and back.
~

When I made my violin, I was at this stage after two years, it's amazing that I only started it in June. It really makes a difference knowing what to do and how to do it.
~~
~~

4 comments:

Cherylinn said...

Wow it that ever coming together quickly....Now a question, what's the difference between a violin and a viola?

Fiddling Granny said...

It's like a big brother, a little longer, a little wider and a deeper voice.

Cherylinn said...

Is the sound about the same?

Fiddling Granny said...

The viola is five notes lower. The strings are CGDA. The violin doesn't have the C on the bottom, but has GDA and E on top. It doesn't have as bright a sound, it's darker.