Sunday, November 01, 2009

Self Discovery

Ever since Grandson the First was around three years old, I've told a story about him that I thought was so cute and funny. I'm sure he tired of it a long time ago, but he tolerates it and still laughs along, even after 14 years.

I was babysitting him and he wanted to watch the movie Pinocchio .... again. When I said okay, he asked "Will the bad guy steal his apple again?". I told him that that would happen every time, to which he sadly replied, "But I don't want him to do it again." We talked about it, watched the movie, and it did, much to his disappointment, happen again.

I guess I have to rethink my telling this story.

This morning I was going through my sheet music. I came across a book of vocal selections from the movie Camelot. It's my favourite movie in the whole world. I love the story, the love love triangle, all the irony, the music, the lyrics, the vocals, just everything about it.

This is what I found inside the front and back covers.


As I looked through the pictures, first, I felt that little leap in my stomach and got tears in my eyes. I thought to myself, I should watch it again soon.

Then I saw the fourth from the last picture, where Sir Lancelot is holding Mordred. I really hate Mordred. I had this brief flash go through my mind, "I wish Mordred (the bad guy), wouldn't set up Lancelot and Guinevere (steal the apple). A milli-second later, I thought of that time with Grandson the First. I'll never be able to tell it again without realizing that I'm not so different from that little three year old.

~~~

A few weeks ago, when we were at CG's place the guys were setting off rockets. As Prince Charming ran through the field chasing on, someone called loudly, "Run Nick". I immediately thought of when when King Arthur called out "Run Boy", after he knighted a young boy, Sir Tom of Warwick, who wanted to join the Knights of the Round Table. King Arthur charged him to run behind the enemy lines and tell the world that there really once was a beautiful place called Camelot. As I told Lisa about it, I got all stupid and teary.

Now I'm here on a Sunday afternoon wanting to watch the move and I have company coming. I'll have ten people at the supper table, so, I'll have to wait - maybe next weekend- sigh. While I'm preparing for my company, I'll be singing vocal selections from Camelot though, I can picture so many of the scenes, it'll be almost like watching it.

~~~~






3 comments:

Philip Nork said...

This reminds me of the time I spent with my great-grandmother years ago. I wrote a book about those memories and how special she was to me, along with other females I met along my journey. You can check it out at my website www.PhilipNork.com. The journey of self-discovery comes in many different ways.

Fiddling Granny said...

Devon sent me this e-mail:

I read it, but couldnt comment... I hate that blog thing... I guess I dont go on it enough to remember how. Anyway... I read you blog and you are a true SAP! I was never a fan of Camelot... Maybe Ill relate it to Annie, lol Not quite the same, but every time the part where Annie is climbing the ladder to get away, I wish they would delete that part. Such a scary part for such a sweet movie. I know, not the same... but my all time fav. Have fun when you get the chance to cry, oops I mean watch Camelot and think Of Jonathon and the stealing of the apple!

Cherylinn said...

I"ve never watched the movie Camelot so I don't know anything about it. But it's funny how things make us well up.....I felt bad for you reading this blog and almost cried....