Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Valance Project


The valances in our kitchen are tired. Very tired. They are navy blue, that has faded, and they are "old fashioned", I'm told.



My friend Carolyn, who makes all kinds of "window treatments" and gets paid big bucks for it, told me that she was going to teach me how to make valances for my windows. (How hard can it be?) I got the fabric and yesterday afternoon, we started the project.

First we had to measure and cut all the pieces for all five of the windows. That took us most of the afternoon. This is Carolyn working on one of the pieces.

This is me cutting one of the long pieces. This fabric is so pretty and cheerful!
We cut out the pieces for 48 tabs for the tops of the valances. This is me sewing them together after Carolyn left. She loaned me her sewing machine.
After they were all sewn, I trimmed them.
The next step was to turn them right side out and press them. Here they are all sewn, pressed, folded and ready to sew on to the tops of the curtains.
Stay tuned, next Monday is phase two; sewing the valances together and hanging them.

(And wait until you hear about my next 'how-hard-can-it-be' project. Response from my partner in crime for this one - "I'm stoked Granny")


7 comments:

SusanE said...

Who would have thought all those pieces.

Laura said...

That's a lot of work for one day!

Cherylinn said...

Wow, I can hardly wait for next week now. I'm dying to see them, time for another visit is it?

Fiddling Granny said...

My laugh muscles are looking forward to it.

Prince Charming said...

WOW!! Your such a creative women. Is there anything you can't do?

Fiddling Granny said...

There's nothing I can't do, but there are a lot of things I don't know how to do. ;-)

Here's my favourite quote right now:

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
- Pablo Picasso

Fiddling Granny said...

Or this:

Albert Einstein: It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.

Or this:

Thomas A. Edison: I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Hey I should be a motivational speaker and just do quotes! LOL