Saturday, May 08, 2010

The Viola Progress




With the move I kind of got behind on my viola. I've been back to it and getting some work done on it the past few days. This is the front and back with the purfling set in the groove. Tomorrow, I'll take it out, trim it and glue it in place. I'm pleased with how it came out and now I'm pumped about getting it glued and starting work on the insides.



To give some size perspective. This is the back of the viola alongside the violin that I finished making last year. The size difference shows when they're side by side. When I start my cello this summer, there's a huge size difference. Not to mention the double bass that Bethany and I are going to start making later this year.




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did the purfling today. I can see the barn door now!

6 comments:

Cherylinn said...

I know because it's bigger it wouldn't sound the same as a violin, but is it higher or lower pitch?

Fiddling Granny said...

Lower pitch ... it's five notes lower, but the sound is not bright and perky like a fiddle it's darker and richer.

Fiddling Granny said...

I've got the purfling inlaid and added to this post.

Fiddling Granny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SusanE said...

It's going faster than the violin did.

Can you play it too?

Fiddling Granny said...

It makes all the difference knowing what you're looking at. My confidence level is way higher than the fiddle.