Thursday, October 28, 2010

Another First

This was given to a friend of ours, but it needed some repairs.

With my vast experience, I volunteered to do the repairs for him.

There was a crack in the front and some other small bits of damage, and it just looked tired. Here it is with the front crack glued and clamped.


Then I added some purfling where a piece had broken out. Although it looks very white in this picture, you'll see later that it barely shows when I finished it.

There was some damage to the edge preventing it from being properly glued together. The edge was ragged and there was a gap between the top and the sides.

So I made little patches to fix the two spots. They too look very white, but I took care of them.
There see, they barely show.
I put a lable in it.

Then glued it back together. Here it is all clamped up.
It looks really good, I'm so pleased with it.
There's the seam where the patches are.
Last of the gluing and clamping.
Tomorrow, I'll finish setting it up and put the strings on her.

I'm so pleased. It's the first time I've done repairs and it went so well.

9 comments:

Laura said...

You have a lot of clamps I have never seen before. Great job.

Cherylinn said...

GREAT JOB! What does the little note glued inside of it say?

Guess you are really excited to hear how it sounds when it's finished....

Fiddling Granny said...

It says

Unknown Origins, 2nd repairs
Oct 2010
Haliburton, ON Canada

Fiddling Granny said...

I have to put the sound post inside (just learning that trick). Then I'm stringing it today. I'm really excited.

Michael is coming Sunday to pick it up.

Fiddling Granny said...

Yeah Laura, they're pretty specialized. A friend and I share tools back and forth.

Cherylinn said...

So do you play it before Michael come or is he the first to play it?

Fiddling Granny said...

As soon as the strings are on it, I'm playing it ... I want to make sure it sounds good and that I don't have to take it apart again before I give it back to him.

SusanE said...

you have a new cottage industry in the making.

Good work.

Prince Charming said...

Look at that!! your amazing, continue to inspire the world (and me)