Monday, March 20, 2006

Fiddling Granny Goes Crazy

Well, after months of shopping around and doing research, I've ordered a new bow for my fiddle. I'm very excited, but the reason it took so long is it's not a traditional bow. Here's a picture of a traditional bow, notice the nice dark coloured part that curves upwards at either end, the part that's usually made of wood, and now there are some made with synthetics?




Now here's the one I've ordered, okay, this is several, but I've just ordered one. See the second one down? Looks kind of like a rainbow? It's called Aurorabowrealis - funky coloured, eh?I figure, if I'm going synthetic, it might as well not look like a wood and horsehair bow. Notice the different shape?











Unlike the traditional ones, no horses tails were clipped for the manufacture of this one. It's synthetic horse hair, that is supposed to sound as good as the horse hair. The rest of it is carbon fibre and synthetic stuff, uneffected by our central heating and humidity changes. The whole darned thing is unconditionally guaranteed for three years. With traditional bows, you have to loosen the hair when you're not using it to prevent it from stretching. Not this one. It won't loosen, it's permanently set and ready to play. It's getting rave reviews despite the untraditional materials and appearance. And it's unbelievably inexpensive as bows go.

Mine is being made and will ship from the USA on Friday. I'm so excited now. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

SusanE said...

That's pretty nice. It'll look different with a rainbow bow when you're used to looking at wood. Let us know how it sounds compared.

Cherylinn said...

That is really cool. I am also glad that it isn't made of horse hair, all those poor horses walking around tail less....