Sunday, November 18, 2007

Not My Night to Cook

What a week this has been. A couple of weeks ago we were invited to friends' house for supper this past Thursday. A day or so later, we were invited to other friends' house for supper on Friday. Then a couple of days ago we were invited to yet a third couples house for supper Saturday. I'm still full. Great food, great, circles of friends. Each of the three nights there were eight people in the group and we had a wonderful time all three nights. Tonight my "Not My Night To Cook" lucky streak is coming to an end with potluck night in our community. When you have 40+ people coming to a potluck supper, there is an incredible number of things to choose from. Even if you only take a teaspoonful of each, you're stuffed to the gizzard by the time you're finished.

What an awesome week. This brings me to the point of this post.

While we were driving to supper on Thursday night, I had a question pop into my mind. We were talking about someone who talks about his wife quite often. I heard about her for about two years before I actually laid eyes on her. For the longest time I referred to her as "Maris" (which made me laugh like crazy). This led me to thinking about the TV show Frasier. What a great show. They had a regular "character" on the series, that nobody ever saw, we never heard her voice. We heard lots of tales over the years, usually one-liners delivered by David Hyde Pierce with an absolutely straight face.

"Maris is pushing me over the edge which is ironic because she can't push. We learnt that the time she got stuck in the revolving door."



So my question for you TV trivia types. Has there been a "character" like Maris on any other TV show? A character that we never saw, never heard, but was a regular on the show.

2 comments:

Cherylinn said...

The closest I can come to is on "Tool Time", the next door neighour, you would always see the top of his head, but never his face, but he did talk, because Tim would go and talk with him almost every show. But we never did see the man.

Fiddling Granny said...

I got an email from a freind who says:

"On the British comedy TV show "Keeping Up Appearances", Mrs. Hyacinth Bucket has a son by the name of Sheridan. She talks to this son all the time on the telephone and brings him up in all sorts of conversations with other characters. But Sheridan has never appeared on the show."


Thanks k2


Why am I mixing up my "ie" words lately? Piece has become peice and friend has become freind. It's just wierd! or weird. Whatever!