Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Weekend of Stress

Well now I'm in deep.

Quite some time ago the concert band in which I play the flute, arranged to play in a local seniors' home on one of the Fridays in December. Not too big a deal, I know all but a couple of the pieces fairly well. Can Can is tough 'cause it smokes along pretty fast, but I'm getting there. My fingers are just a-flyin' though.

Then, I get asked to participate on Sunday of the same weekend, with Grandpa and a friend in a local fundraiser. "Grannies to Grannies" is a fundraiser to help grandmothers in Africa raising their grandchildren who have lost their parents to aids. Great idea. I'll be playing the soprano recorder in a recorder trio. Yup, I got a $2.50 recorder on ebay earlier this year, and now I'm performing with it. What??? Ten pieces?!?!? Oh, well, it's similar-ish to the flute, so how hard can it be?

As if that's not enough for one weekend, this week, I get a call from my fiddle teacher. Saturday of that same weekend, she wants me to play a couple of pieces in a recital. I'm just laughing about it. Whatever! The week before, I'll be freaking out, but for now, whatever.

So last night, I had practiced on my fiddle for somewhere around an hour and a half, and I'd gone through the recorder repertoire, I'd done Can Can and the tricky bits in several others on the flute. So I decided to relax.

I started learning Away In A Manger on my harp. Okay, it's a really easy tune - not even one of my favourites for the upcoming season, but it sounded so pretty ... so angelic ... and I don't have to play it for another soul, just myself. Tonight, I'm determined to get the left hand part ... at the same time as the right hand part. Well ..... maybe that'll take more than one night.

For now, before I can do that, I have to go through my other stuff. Apologies to my banjo .... you're gonna hafta sit quietly tonight.

2 comments:

Cherylinn said...

You're gonna be busy....Have fun, you know you will do fine.

SusanE said...

Wow, have fun.... try not to think about it too much, just go with the flow, you'll be great.