Thursday, March 06, 2008

I've got worms, so what do I do now??

I've known for about six months I was going to have to deal with this issue, no matter how "icky". I'm not one of those people who likes to get my hands dirty, I don't like "icky" stuff. For the past six months, I've been aware of the vegetable matter that goes into the garbage when I'm making meals, and we eat a lot of fresh vegetables. I'd compost, but other folks around here have problems with bears and raccoons, and I'd really rather not deal with them either.


So I'm "vermicomposting", we've got a pound of new employees in the basement and I'll be setting up their new digs this morning. I don't think I'll be naming them ... or maybe I'll name them all "Willie". I suspect I'll be loving my rubber gloves now!

I guess you'll hear more from me in 3 - 6 months when I ave to change the bedding. EEEUUUUWWW!!! Meanwhile, you can check out the whole business at the following link:

Cathy's Composters


4 comments:

SusanE said...

I want some.... where did you get them? (I haven't checked out Cathy's page yet).

Do they look as cute as in the pictures you posted.

(When I read "I've got worms" I thought for sure the post was from Cheryl not you.)

Lauras Garden said...

Connor's grade 3 class had worms and the teacher nicely gave me some at the end of the school year. I kept them over a winter or two then freed them to my garden beds several summers ago. I have looked for them with no success. I miss them. They are great pets. Quiet, clean, not smelly and basically free. You don't have to touch the castings - just buy a cheap hand trowel or fork at the dollar store for stirring. Have fun!

Cherylinn said...

I was going to get some a few years ago and then this past November when we were at the Royal Winter Fair. But because all my veggie scaps go to either the guinea pigs or pot belly pigs I didn't do it....but I'd love to have have them in a glass room in my livingroom for all to see. John had a problem with my idea.

Fiddling Granny said...

Yhe glass thing wouldn't work well, they don't like light, so all you'd see is a terrarium full of soil, newspaper and vegetable scraps. Caythy's the linkl) is in Bradford.