Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Catching Up from the Weekend




This past weekend Gryper and the Missus arrived with bags of gooseberries from Vee's garden. Let me tell you, you don't pick them and plop them in the pot. The instructions say to "top and tail" them. What that means is pull off both ends of each one with your fingers. Messy. Time-consuming. And don't try popping one in your mouth. Nasty!






That having been done, we got all them all topped and tailed and into the pot. This is the "before" picture, see all the tops and tails we had to take off? Blister city!



After cooking them all up and canning them, we got 11 1/2 jars of gooseberry jam. It seems it's one of those jams you love or you hate. I found that it rocks with peanut butter. Mum loved it on the blueberry oatmeal pancakes I made. It was a fun, old fashioned way to spend a Saturday morning.




After getting the jam done and the kitchen cleaned up, we prepared for Cyclin' Granny and the Mister to arrive for supper. As you can see CG was the same charming house guest as always.






We had a great time laughing, eating and yakking.


*


*

4 comments:

Cherylinn said...

Was that yakking or yakking....meaning after eating gooseberries or yaking as is talking...
What a great picture, wonder what you every would have said for me to be so rude? It was probably very nasty as you always are to me.

Cherylinn said...

I remember I was showing you my sore finger.

SusanE said...

I bet there a lot of pictures out there with Cheryl and her sore finger.

It would be fun to try and gather them up and make an album.

Cherylinn said...

Maybe one or two but I'm sure that would be about it....