Saturday, August 02, 2008

The Violin Progress For The Week

So Here's what I've been doing all week. After the first day, the purfling grooves were finally cut and ready for the purfling to be inlaid. Cutting this channels was tedious, but here it is all done.




Here is the back with the purfling inlaid followed by the front.





This is what the neck looked like on Wednesday morning.

I started working on it on Wednesday and got it cut out.

Thursday, I marked some of the lines on it to start carving it.


This is how it looked on Thursday when I left for home.



And this is Friday's work. See how the edges of the scroll have been cleaned up and the grooves down the front of the scroll are started.




This is how everything looks today.


I am so excited about the whole process.

5 comments:

SusanE said...

That's beautiful. Do you have to tools to do that at home, or do you have to do lots in the teachers shop?

When do you get to assemble it?

Fiddling Granny said...

I have most of what I need to finish the carving (the neck has a lot left to do) and carve out the inside of both the back and the front. I just don't have the knowledge or experience after that.

Bethany, my fiddling teacher will be helping me, so can get stuff done through the year. I'm really getting impatient to get it done, but I expect that will be next summer. We'll see.

Cherylinn said...

I can't believe how spectacular that is....Great Job...

PRINCE CHARMING said...

WOW!!! THats gonna be sweet!!!!

Laurence Hunt said...

Well done, Ms. Stradivarius.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stradivarius

This might be next after the soap business!

By the way, I've gone crazy with those link feeds, thanks for the lead. You got me started - so that makes it your fault if perhaps I've gotten a little obsessive about it....