Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Gourmet Supper Group

Some friends of ours, two couples, and we were having supper one night and decided to start a gourmet supper group, just the six of us. One couple hosts, and everyone participates in the meal preparation. The hosting couple plans the meal and shops, then gets ingredients ready for everyone to prepare.


Tomorrow is the first night. We're hosting and today I've been busy getting ready.


Here's the meal we've got planned.



Cheddar-Pecan Gougères
*
Cider-Glazed Pork Loin with Fennel Coulis and Smashed Red-Skinned Potatoes
*
Sautéed Swiss Chard
*
Orange-Infused Roasted Green Beans and Red Peppers
*
Frangipane-Ripple Chocolate Pound Cake


Today I made the cake which is supposed to be made a day in advance. I washed and cut all the vegetables and measured all the ingredients. For each dish, there is the required pot/pan, and several smaller containers with labels on them indicating the carefully measured contents and for what dish they are needed. There is a list on each pot with a sticky note indicating any other ingredient they require, already prepared, labelled and in the fridge.


When the others get here, they can each decide which of the dishes they're going to make. Everything is organized, they just follow the recipe and make it. Meawhile "The Hostess With the Mostest", me this time, will set the table and drink wine whilst I answer questions about the prepared ingredients and the location of spatulas, spoons, serving dishes and so on.


I'm already salivating ... every time I open the fridge I get a huge whiff of garlic. Yummy!!


Just for the record, gougères are choux pastries, little sort of "biscuit" like treats - not dessert-y. A coulis is a "blenderized" vegetable, sauce-ish base or garnish.


I figured everyone would be too busy for an appetizer, but I might do something for while we're all waiting for things to bake, boil or get ready. Maybe some cream cheese smothered in my "Peach and Peppers Relish" with crackers.


Delicioso
Délicieux
Delizioso
Köstlich
о́чень вку́сный




4 comments:

SusanE said...

I'd come but I'd probably drown in my own saliva while I was driving down.

Besides you'd probably expect me to cook a meal sometime and well.... I just don't do that.

Cherylinn said...

I don't know what any of this fancy smanch food you're talking about is....never head of it. But I think it sounds good. You guys will have a blast.

PRINCE CHARMING said...

HOOK ME UP!!!

Fiddling Granny said...

We'll have to have you, Lisa and Mikki over for some of my gourmet cooking and good china when you're up to the cottage PC. It's only about 50 minutes drive. We have a fire pit too ya know.