Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Violin Update

Add on to the original post: Susan asked me in the comments on this post if I felt sick in the stomach doing the insides of the front and back. I did when I did this part. After getting all the contouring finished on the outsides of the front and back and getting the purfling inlaid, I used the drill press to make holes in the inside to make it easier/faster to cut away some of the wood. Here is a picture of the back with some of the holes gouged out in the lower bout. Followed by the front ready to work on. My stomach was in unbelievable knots when I started to lower the drill press down into it.





Original Post: I'm working on my vacation photos for a "favourites" collection for my blog. Meanwhile .... while we were in PEI ... I did some work on my fiddle. The inside front and back are both down to about 5 mm thick and now I have do carve it down to around 3mm (it varies in the different areas). Here's how it looks today.




4 comments:

Cherylinn said...

You're getting there....it looks really good.

SusanE said...

Aren't you afraid to start shaving it down?

I remember when we pulled the entire roof off the old house. I had a totally sick feeling in my stomach as we did it.

The point of no return.

Are you feeling totally sick in your stomach?

Fiddling Granny said...

Not any more. After I'd finished the contours and then had to drill into the back of it ... that was scary. I'll go back and post the picture of how that looked.

Fiddling Granny said...

I've added a couple of pix to the beginning of this post to show you the part that had my stomache in knots.