Saturday, April 25, 2009

Looks Like It'll Work

After a week of being pretty busy, this morning I clamped the sides to the back. I wanted to make sure they fit just right. The edges around the lower bouts (her hips) need to be trimmed down a bit so there's not as much "lip". I'll trim them down, then glue it together. I'll use a lot more clamps, so they'll be all around the outsides.




I'm working on the finishing touches to the top ... carving the bass bar to fit and then cutting the F holes. This first picture has the base bar just sitting in it right now. I only started it yesterday. It needs a lot more work to get it to carved to the proper dimensions and to fit the front perfectly.



If you click on this to enlarge it, you can see where I've drawn the F holes on. Cutting them will stress me in a big way .. baby steps. 


5 comments:

SusanE said...

When do you cut them?

I can't imagine how frightening that would be.

You're work is amazing, I can't wait to see the real thing when I stop by on June 4th.

Lauras Garden said...

It is beautiful. You must be so proud.

Cherylinn said...

OMG the is so spectacular....You must be so excited to be what I think is almost done. Bet you can hardly wait to her how she/he sounds.

Fiddling Granny said...

Susan, I'm procrastinating ... I'll cut them when I have the bass bar finished and it's the last step before gluing. I'm horrified about doing it.

Laura, you're right, I'm very proud.

CG, It's getting so close I can taste it. It will be great if I can finish it in the musical instrument construction course and play it the following week in the intermediate strings course.

PRINCE CHARMING said...

That is absolutly stunning. Good job auntie!! I think I would have got 10 minutes of work into it then smashed it off the wall. You truly are an inspiration