Monday, April 06, 2009

I Have Arrived

Now that we have the RV we plan to do a lot more traveling on the ground rather than in the air. So having a crapload of Aeroplan points, we decided to cash them in on goodies instead of plane tickets. So we now have this baby, I call her the "Granny Apple". 

The Mister has always done all the taking care of our computers. He's been a tekkie since they used punch cards, and his career was in IT, so it made sense. Consequently, I only know how to use the stuff I use, like word processor, spreadsheet and the internet. Not much else. If anything got tangled up, I'd restart, then I'd be out of ideas. If something suspicious happened, my heart rate would increase, panic would set in and I'd walk away and not touch it till he returned. Pathetic.

A long time ago, I decided that it would be a good thing for me to get a MacBook. When we travelled, I would be able to check e-mail and whatever else I needed to do, while the Mister used his. 


The up side is, I figured, the Mister doesn't know much about Apple products, so I'd have to learn about it and figure it out. The down side is, the Mister doesn't know much about Apple products so I'd have to figure it out. Because of this conundrum, it took a while to actually decide to do it. Finally I made up my mind. Then, there was the price. Enter aeroplan. 


Yesterday, I set this one up, and learned about the different ways of doing things on a Mac. I know when I started, before the Mister went outside, he had twitchy fingers, kind of like when I was cutting out the back of my violin on the band saw. The Mister was out boiling maple syrup all day, so he didn't have to listen to me babbling to myself as I figured stuff out.

Now, feeling quite smug, and cautiously confident, can say this. 
"I, Fiddling Granny, installed programs." 







3 comments:

Lauras Garden said...

Good for you! I thought you were very techno savvy because you help your dad and Cheryl out. I am the same as you. I send out my work orders by email and check world events and use Open Office but have no desire to learn more. It is a tool - too many others become to obsessed with their computer.

Cherylinn said...

THAT'S AWESOME! Ever since Melissa got her Mac she's been telling me to get one...She will never go back to PC. But mine still runs and I hate change.
But she sure is pretty.

SusanE said...

Keep me posted. I want a Macbook too, just waiting for this computer to get too unpredictable,

I'm impressed. YOU installed a program!!!!!