Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Viola Adventure

I've been busy gouging, planing, scraping and generally making a woody mess. Here's an update.



I'm hoping to have the sides (strips in front) the right thickness (1.1 mm) to bend them and glue them onto the mould by this weekend. The front (the light piece in the centre) is not far from being finished on the outside. I've cut out the neck and scroll and am ready to start carving it. Lots to do, and with the Mister working busily on his guitar, it's keeping me motivated ... no, keeping me obsessed.

All in all I'm pleased, and particlurly with how much easier everything seems after having made the violin.

3 comments:

Lauras Garden said...

Good for you. Is it time to stain the violin yet?

Cherylinn said...

You're not wasting any time, it's coming along very nicely.

Fiddling Granny said...

I'm going to test some varnishes on some of the leftover pieces, then I'll go ahead with it. I have a little more carving to do on the back of the neck first. Soon though.