Monday, December 07, 2009

Swish Thump Thump

Last night I was driving to an event about 1/2 an hour from our house. It was snowing heavily, and the road was slippery. I was behind a medium sized truck (somewhere between a dump truck and a large pick-up), it was hard to tell because it was dark.

We were both taking it pretty easy because of the road conditions. He started to gaining speed and leaving me behind. As I went into a bend in the road the back of the jeep began to fish-tail. I tried unsuccessfully to recover. I went off the road and into a 5 foot ditch, and rolled onto the side, then onto the roof.

As I started into the ditch, I thought to myself, there's nothing you can do now, so best to relax and don't tense your muscles. It happened so slowly.

As I hung upside down from the seatbelt, I thought, first find the emergency flashers and turn them on. When I did that, I also turned off the engine. Then, remembering conversations from past incidents, I cautiously attempted to undo my seatbelt, but it was locked up, so that took some time. I was able to slowly let myself down and not fall on my noggin.

It's incredibly disorienting being in an upside down vehicle, especially in the dark. There was a log outside the one door, so I didn't even try to open it. I tried to kick out the other window, those windows are tough. So I thought, well just maybe the other door will open, and it did, just enough to get my head out and wiggle the rest of me out.

So I gathered up the stuff I needed for the event I was attending, climbed out and flagged down a passing motorist. No point hanging around as cell phones don't work and I wasn't hurt, so I went to where the event was taking place and called the police from there.

The officer didn't need me to attend the scene, if I could fax a statement, so I arranged towing from there.

This morning, I have a couple of twinges, but no big hurts at all, so guess my instructions to myself about relaxing paid off (and it was all so slow). I went over it and over it in my head afterwards, and it's odd though how difficult it is to picture yourself in your vehicle when it's upside down and you've righted yourself, despite having actually been there.

CRAP!

~~

14 comments:

The Lexiphage said...

Yikes! Well at least you're ok... that was good thinking in an emergency... is the jeep recoverable or a memory?

Fiddling Granny said...

Don't know, we're going to go and look at it today. At the time I thought it was a pancake, but Ken pointed out that if it had been, the glass in the windows would have broken.

Fiddling Granny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gryper said...

I'm glad that you"re OK, were you in 4 or 2 wheel drive?

Prince Charming said...

DAMN!! I wasn't expecting to read this on blog's when I woke up.
Glad to hear your doing good.

Never Give Up said...

Glad to hear your okay. Scary stuff being upside down!

The taxi driver was a tad grumpy in Ottawa when I commented on the snowy roads. It was just a light coat here.

Fiddling Granny said...

I was in 4 wheel drive. I think that Cheryl is in worse shape than me ... she had a claustrophobia attack reading it and phoned me.

Cherylinn said...

OMG......I had to phone Wendy because I couldn't get my computer to let me post. I was having a claustrophobic attack when reading this....I don't know how she was so calm.

I'm so glad you're ok. Love YA!

Cherylinn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cherylinn said...

I deleted one, for some reason it posted it twice.

Jojo said...

Good work Wendy. So glad you weren't hurt.
Love & gentle hugs,
Jojo

SusanE said...

Glad you're okay.

A few years back just after getting back from someplace warm, Laurence and I were driving home to Kenora and there was a ford explorer in front of us.

I had just commented to Laurence that the roads were really slippery all of a sudden. Obviously the driver of the explorer thought so to. She slowed way down, so did we.

All of a sudden her car just made a slow left hand turn across the road towards the ditch and rock cut. It was all very slow and actually really neat.

She rolled much the same way you described.

I stopped, stepped out of the car and almost landed on my bum it was so slippery. Another car stopped and while Laurence called 911, the other guy and I headed across to the car.

I remember thinking, "Oh god, don't let it be ugly". As the man and I got to the car, the drive was pushing the door opened (the car was it as on it's sidem nestled in the snow).

This woman pops her head up through the opening, while holding the very heavy door up.

To the other guys surprise, she said "Oh hi Susan, what are you doing here? Hang on while I get my purse." It was all rather funny.

She was fine and her car was repaired and she's still driving it today about4 or 5 years later.

Again... very glad you're okay and reading about your sensible self-rescue is good training for all of us. Thanks for being so smart.

Lauras Garden said...

Wow! 13 comments. Nothing like an accident to bring the lurkers out. Glad you are okay. I HATE winter driving since driving/sliding into ditches and poles 3 times. Good timing for your move into town.

Pam, TJ, Nathan and Jordan said...

WOW!! Glad to hear you are ok & handled it so well!