Saturday, March 31, 2007

Granny's Fiddle Update

Well it's been a while since I hung an update on my fiddle making out here. I've learned a couple of interesting things since the last time I blogged about it.


I've learned that I'm good at sharpening gouges ... and at applying band-aids to my fingers.

I've come to realize that by the time my fiddle is completed, it will be readily identifiable by my DNA. I may not have to stain it. Okay, so I exaggerate somewhat for effect.


I have also learned some technique for using gouges. When I started this project, my woodworking tool skills were limited to sandpaper and a knife for making stick to roast wienies. Up until now, I've been using a gouge and a beech mallet and bashing my way through the back of this poor piece of maple. Today I found out how to use the gouge a little more gently.


Here is the picture from a while back of the back along with the picture from today ... post-blister. You can see it's starting to take shape around the edges and I've worked my way further into the centre.


I'm starting to see a fiddle emerging from what was once a solid slab of bird's eye maple.





1 comment:

SusanE said...

Very anxious to see the finished product.

By the way.... have you seen the movie "The Red Violin"? You may find it particularly meaningful.