Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Granny's Gets Ready for School

Today I decided to put all my stuff together for my course next week. Monday starts week two of my Musical Instrument Construction course. Last year was the first week, and I've done some work on it during the course of the year.

When we finished last year, I had the sides partially completed but still on the mould. Since then I've finished the sides, and started working on the back. I decided to work on the back because it's maple and therefore hard wood. The top is soft wood, spruce, and I figured I could do less damage as I learned how to use a gouge if I started with the back. I'm guessing that the instructor will take a look at how I've been doing it and show me a better (the correct) way to use a gouge.

Here's what I've done so far. It doesn't look like the back has come that far since I last posted about it, but there's quite a lot of maple all over the work table, so I guess I've made some progress. Stay tuned. Next Friday, when the course is finished for another year, I'll have more pictures.




2 comments:

SusanE said...

it's pretty impressive. It looks like you are doing a good job.

Cherylinn said...

What is a gouge? I think it's pretty awesome. How thin it the maple back?