Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Violin Project





















Here's an update on the "in progress" violin.

In the first picture, the front is on the left and the back is on the right.


The second and third pictures are of the back, as it is this afternoon. I've spent a bunch of time with thumb planes and scrapers and to my inexperienced eye, it looks like it's ready for me to put the purfling in (the black like around the edges of violins, and guitars and other wooden instruments). I have to cut the groove and then set the purfling (tiny strips of wood fibre) into the groove and glue it in. After that is done, I will start carving out the inside. I've ordered the stuff I need for the purfling, but in the meantime, I'll get busy finishing off the front.

It's hard to get a picture that is is the same as looking it in real life, but it's so smooth now except around the edges which get finished after the purfling.

I can't wait to hear it .... and start on another!

2 comments:

SusanE said...

Very nice. But how big is it? The pictures on the deck make it look bigger than a violin.

That's a ton of hard work you're doing and very fussy. It's fun following along.

I'm proud of you. You've got my tenacity than I do.

Fiddling Granny said...

I'll take a picture later of it beside the one I play. They're the same size, but you're right .. it's hard to imagine the size from the picture at the picnic table. The lighting was best there though.