Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Bucket List

Over Christmas we watched the movie "The Bucket List". Great movie. Essentially, two older men make a list of the things they want to do before they die.



I have only thought of two things for my bucket list, go on a trip to Iceland. Why? I don't know, it just sort of intrigues me. Also I'd like to do a pub tour of Ireland. Maybe as "kicking the bucket" gets closer, the list gets longer.



There have been things that have been on a back burner "to do" list though. Things I've thought of for years. Like playing the violin for instance. It's one of those things I've always wanted to do, so three or so years ago, I went for it. I've mentioned before that when I was about about ten years old I tried to make one with the lid of a shoe box and different sized elastic bands.



Actually making music is in a category all its own. Singing is one of my loves. I still remember the songs from Grade 2 choir, they were from Alice in Wonderland. Playing an instrument of any kind has always called to me. I did take piano lessons for a couple of years, but found it extremely frustrating.



About eight years ago I got my banjo ... it's so relaxing to sit in the evening and pick away. About four years ago, I got a flute, taught myself to play it and began playing in a local concert band.



There's one other thing that goes way back though. As a little girl I really wanted to learn ballet. I used to take home books from the library and teach myself in the privacy of my bedroom. Recently it occurred to me, I'm not out of time, I can still learn.



So after some checking, I've found an adult class. So I sheepishly went (with Mum who was sworn to secrecy) and got these babies.









I've got myself signed up for a class.

So the secret is out, the cat's out of the bag. I've bashfully told the world. Please no comments about the hippos in Disney's Fantasia.

4 comments:

SusanE said...

Way to go. I'm so proud of you.

Life should always be about moving forward, it's not stagnant. You don't need a bucket list, you've been reaching for things your entire life.

Hey, why don't we do a cycling tour of Ireland Pubs. Sounds like a blast to me. We could even write a book about it. Imagine weaving down the roads after a few Guiness.

Fiddling Granny said...

I can picture the it ... Sounds worthy of consideration .... ☺

Lauras Garden said...

Good for you. I guess being a ballerina is almost every little girl's dream. The grace, the beautiful costumes - everyone is a princess when dancing. I still have my ballet books!

Cherylinn said...

Hey if it involves a pub......why was my name not mentioned?

Nice ballet booties, it funny that is so you. I couldn't imagine myself doing that. Even know I have the grace and eligance.