Sunday, January 11, 2009

FG's Excellent Adventure

*
Last week I had to get new lenses put in my glasses. The were ordered before Christmas, and finally arrived (from a lab in France) last week.
*
When I went to get them put into my glasses, Lance (Haliburton Vision Care Centre) was getting ready to put them in my glasses, so I asked if I could watch. He was really interesting and explained the whole process as we went along. It was very cool to see how it's done. You don't get this kind of fun at the big chain stores!
*
Lance shows me the machine that takes the lenses from about 3" diameter to fit my glasses.
*

Here's my lens in the machine (between the two black things on its edge) just before the grinder starts to work its magic.

*



Here's Lance grinding the sharp edge off it.

*

Now checking to see that it's exactly right.

*


Turning it slightly because it was skewed.

*


Cleaning all the markings off of the finished lenses.

*

Here they are, those who know me well will be surprised to notice that they can actually see my eyes because the lenses are so clean (for now!)

*

*

Hey, I know, now that I know how to do it, and I have my foot in the door, maybe next time Lance will let me do it while he watches on. How cool would that be?!

The End (fade to black)

2 comments:

Cherylinn said...

Funny the first thing I was thinking was her glasses will be clean because she just go them put in....Can you see better? Not because they are clean but because they are new lenses.....Why did they have to come from France?

SusanE said...

I was going to comment that now that you're almost finished the violin it's time to make your own glasses. And you beat me to it.