Sunday, July 26, 2009

Here We Go

Here's what my violin looks like today. Tomorrow starts the week of my course. I'm hoping to have it all finished and ready to varnish by the end of the week. The following week, I'll be taking the Intermediate Stringed Immersion course, a whole week of playing all day. Wouldn't it be the coolest if I could play the violin that I've made by hand for that course??

This picture shows the front, sides and back, all completed and ready to glue together. Just below them is the bass bar which is all finished and fits the contours inside the front (see the next picture).





This is the neck, scroll completed and fingerboard temporarily glued on. I have to finish carving the neck, then the fit it to the body. After that I'll play it "in the white" and make sure all is well with it. Then I'll remove the fingerboard and varnish it.

While I'm waiting for the glue to dry, if there's nothing else I am able to do, I'll work on my viola. As you can see, I've started the rough arching on the back. As if I haven't lost enough sleep over my mistakes while I've been making the violin, now I can make different mistakes with this one.


2 comments:

Cherylinn said...

That is SO COOL! You must be so excited and the anticipation of waiting to hear her first note....

Great Job...We're anxiously waiting..

SusanE said...

Bet you can't wait to play it