Friday, July 31, 2009

My Fiddle

Today, after three years, I finished making my violin. I still have to varnish it, but first I'll play it "in the white" for a few weeks to find any small adjustments that need to be made first.




It was set up by Bethany, and I asked her to put the strings on even though I know how. I was pretty emotional, but I decided I was not going to cry. She put the first string on it, plucked it, and I started. So did several other people in the room.

After all the strings were on it, she handed it to me and I was in tears. I started to play St Anne's Reel, got as far as the chorus, and I could feel a sob building up. I had to stop playing, handed it to Bethany and asked her to play it. I heard a bunch of applause when I stopped playing. I was surrounded by about 30 people, only half of whom were in our class. The rest were from another class who came by to see the first time I played it. I wasn't the only one bawling like a baby, there were at least 10 other people doing the same thing.

It sounds lovely. What a thrill.

As if I haven't lost enough sleep over this violin, I've started building a viola. Hopefully it won't take three years.

5 comments:

Cherylinn said...

THAT IS FREAKING AWESOME....I can hardly wait to see it in person today.

Cherylinn said...

I commented before I even read what you have written and here I sit crying....I'm do happy for you.

SusanE said...

I love the support from the people who are in your group and the other. What a wonderful crowd of people.

I'm so proud of you.

Your violin is absolutely beautiful, not only music, she's also art.

Jojo said...

Congratulations Wendy! I'm so proud of you! You did a beautiful job.

Lauras Garden said...

You did an amazing job. Are all violins the same colour or can you choose something different?