Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Mammograms

Ok, so we all should get them as we get older .... I realize that. They're no big deal. People carry on about them and how aweful they are. As I was having mine a couple of weeks ago, I was pondering the fact that people complain about them, but what an amazing tool. After it was finished, and I headed away from the hospital, I confidently thought, "Well, that's that for another couple of years." I never get call-backs after having tests. Yeah, right, and the Titanic was unsinkable.

I had it done on Thursday, and the next Tuesday morning, I get called. We need more pictures so you need to come back. I instantly went "brain-dead". I couldn't think what questions I was supposed to ask. I complained "It's almost three hours to drive there." She told me it was important ... oh great, that helps.

Okay, I said when are we looking at? "Tomorrow at 11:30" she replied. Stunned, I agreed. Doesn't she know theat health care in Canada is in crisis. The waiting lists are lengthy. Why am I being rushed???

I spent the next couple of days worried about the whole thing and unable to think of much else. The person actually doing the test isn't allowed to discuss your mammogram with you. I finally heard from my doctor two days later. I have some very small spots of calcification in my left breast. The radiologist says it "looks benign" and "doesn't have a cancerous appearance". You need to come back in four months I was told so they can take keep an eye on any changes - here's the date we've scheduled you.

Mum says calcification is common. I'd never even heard of this in breasts before, I wish I had. I thought mammograms only found breast cancer, so getting a call-back is quite unnerving. I'm posting this for the other females in the family who will one day be getting mammograms. They can go in knowing that if they have to go back for more pictures, they can be checking into other things not just breast cancer.

Don't listen to the hype. They're no big deal, having the dental hygienist clean you teeth causes more discomfort. When the doctor tells you it's time to get one, don't hesitate.

2 comments:

Jojo said...

You must have one mean dental hygenist!!!!!
Actually I had the same experience as you when I had my first mammogram. They ended up checking me every 6 months for 2 years and nothing changed. Yes, it is very frightening but a very common occurrence. Better safe than sorry!
Love
Joanne

SusanE said...

I can't imagine how scared you must have been. Just reading your post I'm thinking "Oh my god, we've got the breast cancer gene." Glad it's just calification. Now I can relax.

I had a chest X-ray the other day, checking for Blasto.