Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Rawfeeding Answers

In a previous post, I talked about the changes in our cockapoo, Muggins, the cutest and smartest dog that ever lived, since I've been rawfeeding her. In the comments, Cherlinn, the poodle collector asked what I'm feeding Muggins now that she's eating raw meat. I'm still in the transition phase, she's fine with the change, I need time to change my way of thinking. Here's what we're up to.

I've been using Urban Wolf (
www.urbanwolf.cc) along with raw ground beef, pork or chicken. When I premix the Urban Wolf and freeze in individual servings, I add a can of wild-caught salmon. She's has raw eggs with the shells. I've given her meaty pork riblets and I'm working up to chicken wings. In building up to bones, I started adding big chunks of green peppers, which she loves, just before I serve it, so she'd expect to have to chew stuff. As long as the bones aren't cooked they can quite safely eat them. I take the frozen meal out of the freezer the day before so it's thawed when she eats it.

I've just read the book called "Work Wonders" that is written by a veterinarian about feeding raw meaty bones. He says if they don't chew it right, they'll toss it back up and they'll start over and chew it the next time. He says if they bury it for later consumption, don't worry about it. He also says, don't worry about thawing it, they'll eat it frozen with no problem.

Anyway, my little cockapoo isn't nearly as hyper as she was for the first 16 months of her life. I'll agree she's getting older, so she will settle down some, but this has been a dramatic change.

1 comment:

Cherylinn said...

I'll have to check out the sight. It can't be the poodle that's calm, we have 4 and they are far from calm, quite dogs. They are so hyper and full of life all the time. Maybe it's because of having 4 all about the same age. It's the best. They all pick on Choas (German Shep.) and Marley (St. Bernard.) Poor bigs dogs....