Friday, February 15, 2008

Teapots

I was thinking the other day as I made my tea, about the teapot Cheryl gave me. It's mosts definitely my favourite teapot. It NEVER drips from the spout. Ever. It's small, 3/4 of a pint it says on the bottom, only barely makes tea for two. It's blue and the rest of my kitchen is forest green, so it doesn't really go with the decor. But it makes a good cuppa. It stays really hot, even with no cozy, although I'm going to knit one for it anyway.
I realized that I have a thing for teapots. I'd never noticed before. To me, they look friendly, comforting, or I suppose they represent it to me. They're all like Mrs Potts in Beauty & The Beast. Welcoming. Perhaps that's why I have so many.


It's a guest
It's a guest
Sakes alive, well I'll be blessed
Wine's been poured and thank the Lord
I've had the napkins freshly pressed
With dessert
She'll want tea
And my dear that's fine with me
While the cups do their soft shoeing
I'll be bubbling, I'll be brewing
I'll get warm
Piping hot
Heaven's sakes! Is that a spot?
Clean it up! We want the company impressed
We've got a lot to do
Is it one lump or two
For you, our guest?
She's our guest
She's our guest
She's our guest


This teapot was Grandma's.
I was given it when she died along with the great big teacozy. This is a great "company teapot", it makes 10 cups - a three bagger! The big tea cozy that goes with it keeps the tea hot for hours, so it's a good on for long tea conversations ... just keep on pourin'. It's heavy when it's full and as I pick it up I can picture Grandma's hand and wrist as she aged, it looked like wrist would snap with the weight.
.
.
This one I don't like, but I keep it anyway. It's a cheap one that I got when we needed one for the house when it was under construction. The lid doesn't fit properly, the handle is awkward, the tea it makes isn't that good. It's pretty, but just takes up space. I can't just toss it out though. I don't know why.
.
.
.
This is my "Good" teapot, for when I'm doing it up big. It goes with my good china. This one, along with the matching teacups (I'll do another post on the teacup collection) looks very elegant in a one-lump-or-two- sort of way.
.
.
.
.

This is a lovely little individual cuppa set. The teapot sits on top of the mug nicely. Old Country Roses again ... I love that pattern. The pot makes enough for almost two cups. You can carry the whole kit and caboodle into the other room with one hand.

.
.

This is the usual kitchen teapot. The colours go will with the forest green of the kitchen. It makes a lovely cup of tea, and will do tea for three quite nicely. The handle is comfortable and the lid fits well. It's a really good Sadler teapot, that I got on eBay for a song.
If I'm making more than just for me, this is the one I use.

.
.


This is a tealight holder. It's cute as all get out and looks so pretty when it's lit. As soon as I saw this I knew I had to have it, although the last things I needed were another candle holder, or teapot.
So, that's my teapot "thing" that I have just discovered about myself.

4 comments:

SusanE said...

I understand completely.

I purchased a beautiful teapot in Saint Andrews, NB years ago. It just felt good using it. One day it sprung a leak, many actually.

It was a long time before I found a suitable replacement. I love my new teapot.

Lauras Garden said...

Beautiful collection. I guess I am new fangled. We have converted to using carafes. They are not nearly as pretty but keep the tea hot for 12 hours. Great for people who frequently forget they poured a cuppa! But I am starting to experiment with mixing my own blends in a tea ball. So I am still a little old fashioned.

Cherylinn said...

I'm terribly saddened by your post of today. You have said something nice about every teapot except that poor teal coloured one. Think about how it must feel, you've spoken so highly of each one and then you've be so harsh to this guy. I feel bad of it, it can't help the fact the lid doesn't fit properly and it doesn't make the perfect cup of tea, but it deserves to be loved like the others. If you dislike it so badly, bring it to my cottage next weekend and I will display it, talk nicely to it and enjoy having it. I will give it a loving home. She might never get used, but if you send me your pattern for a tea cozy I will knit her a special one, just for her.....
My eyes have welled up just thinking of the beauty with her...

Fiddling Granny said...

You wnat her to be your "step pot". It think that you could provide a better, home for her. You could love her and she'd be more productive. I'm sure she'd love a cozy.

This one http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/teacosies/daffodil-st-cosy.htmwould be fitting and the colours of your choice.