Tuesday, February 05, 2008

What Am I, NUTS???

Grandpa headed out for his usual Tuesday evening practice with the local men's chorus. They're preparing for their concert this Sunday.

I'm sitting here looking at the computer shoving a really awesome salad into my "pie hole", as Cyclin' Granny calls it, saying to myself, "Okay, after I check my e-mail and make a couple of moves on my facebook Scrabulous games, I'll practice, oops, I mean rehearse, I'm supposed to say rehearse (it's less dreary sounding), my violin pieces for the Music Festival.".

I'm not stressing about it, I've got lots of time, it's not till April and that's still a couple of months away. Hmmm, let me count the weeks. There's still over eight weeks. ONLY EIGHT WEEKS?!?!

Our concert band will be playing two pieces, but the flute parts I have under control, no problem, not easy, but I'm pretty close to knowing them (well except one little timing issue). Besides, I'll be one of four or maybe five "flautists" so if I mess up, miss notes or collapse of stage fright, it'll hardly be noticeable.

It occurs to me that I don't have that same cushion with my violin pieces, solo pieces. Standing there in front of a judge, a really smart, musical, scholar judge and an audience. I know my legs will shake from hip to ankle all the way down the outsides, my bow arm will tremble and my tummy will do that weird little flip-flop thing.

I guess I better put the wine bottle back in the fridge, finish my salad and warm up the metronome. What I had in my mind as "over two months" turns out to be "less than eight weeks". Oops, there's that funny feeling in my tummy again. If good ol' Handel heard what I do to his Bourrée right now he'd shriek and cover his ears right in the grave. My Ste Anne's Reel fiddle piece is not too-too far from being do-able. Deep breaths ... ohm .. relax ... ohm.

Wish me luck ... no wait wish me a good practice, oops, I mean rehearsal. Deep breaths ... ohm .. relax ... ohm.

3 comments:

SusanE said...

I'm looking forward to hearing you during the layover on the cycling trip.

You'll be great, I know it.

I hope you played your move, I'm going to play mine now.

Cherylinn said...

FG it's sister pep talk time: You are putting all these thoughts into that teeny tiny brain of yours. Take all the scary negative thoughts and put them in the bow case. You left on out, put it in too and now, close that case. Now take a deep breath and open your music book and see all the positive thoughts, they are right in front of you face. Now focus on them and reherse. You can do it.....and you know you can.

Fiddling Granny said...

Thanks, I'm all pumped up after that pep talk CG. Look out world!!