Saturday, January 23, 2010

Early Mornings

This morning I was reading Susan's blog about running in the early morning. The time just before dawn when the sky is beginning to lighten, I am always reminded of the term "Dawn's left hand in the sky". I learned that in high school english class and always remembered that it was from the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam. Thanks to Google, I was able to find the excerpt.

The amazing thing is, it's exactly how I feel about early mornings.

The Rubaiyat

By Omar Khayyam

Written 1120 A.C.E.

dreaming when dawn's left hand in the sky
I heard a voice in tavern cry
awake my little ones and fill the cup
before life elixir in cup be dry


2 comments:

Cherylinn said...

I'm a true morning person.

SusanE said...

I love the "dawn's left hand in the sky" what a wonderful way of describing dawn.