Monday, January 09, 2006

The blind leading the blind

I got a phone call yesterday from a man who lives in the area. He has been given his great grandfather's violin and wants me to teach him to play it. Me!?! I explained that I'm self-taught, except for three lessons and I've only been learning since July. I told him that I could teach him what I've learned about holding the fiddle and the bow, and maybe we could work on a couple of songs together. but that's the extent of my expertise. He was ok with that and is quite happy that I'm going to help him.

Fortunately, he's away till the end of January, so I have some time to get ready. I guess the good thing is that it means I have to put some thought and effort into what we'll do and how to go about teaching the little bit that I know. This means I will end up learning from the experience too.

Did I mention that I'm also helping a close friend learn to play the flute? At least I've got a year and a half of experience with that and I've been playing it with the concert band for most of that time, so I feel as if I have something to offer.

2 comments:

SusanE said...

who would have thought that you would become a music teacher. Mr. Brooks would be proud.... or horrified, not sure which.

Cherylinn said...

Well that's pretty cool, I think Susan has summed it up beautifully. Good ole' Poopsi.