Sunday, December 10, 2006

Knitter's Lament

Many years ago, I'm thinking in about 1991, I found the most beautiful coloured wool. A stunning hand-dyed wool in shades of turquoise by Colinette. It was really pricey, but I simply had to have it.

It took me about four years to settle on a pattern. The wool was such terrific colours that I thought it should be a fairly simple pattern. I decided on a shawl collar cardigan that looked great on the outside of the pattern.

I worked on it, but never seemed to find great enthusiasm for it. I had a problem with the front and back raglans where they meet at the top. The shawl collar, when finished, seemed to big for the rest of the pieces. I had all the bits and pieces complete and they weren't lining up right, so over the past few months I pinned it together, got the sides and sleeves all sewn up. I decided that I would leave it out in plain view until I completed it, so it's been sitting out now for several months awaiting installation of the collar.

Today was the big day. I decided to procrastinate no longer. Now I can say, finally, it's all finished. It took from 1991 to 2006.

However ..... I don't like it. It's boring, has no character, has a beige personality. It's top heavy.


So, I guess it's time to unravel the whole thing and find another pattern.
I've located the wool winder, so the kinks should come out by the time I find another pattern.
Now I just have to get the guts to make the first cut. The funny thing is, I'm not all upset about it. I have a sort of "oh, well" attitude.
It's an Aran Weight wool, so if you have any suggestions. I'd be happy to hear them.

2 comments:

SusanE said...

Laurence thinks you're crazy... I understand completely. It is rather funny though. Got me as far as what style would work for it.

Cherylinn said...

That is one UGLY sweater. Glad you ripped it out....Sorry.