Monday, July 07, 2008

Nothing to it

A couple of weeks ago, I posted about my next "How Hard Can It Be" project.

Easy-peasy ... Here's the chair I decided to learn upholstery on. You can see it sagging in the centre because the springs are no longer supported by the webbing.


First step, pull all the tacks out and take off the outside fabric.


Next step, take off the fabric that covers the stuffing.


Now I'm down to the padding, then the straw and the horsehair layer. (Shouldn't have picked a breezy day for this project!)


Next comes the layer of burlap that is fairly tight weave.


Peeling the burlap back, reveals the springs.



Now I'm down to the springs. They are all tied to their neighbour with jute and fastened to the sides of the chair.


Now we're at the webbing that supports the springs. These have pulled away from the frame of chair; they're the root of the problem with this chair. The only thing holding them in was a piece of bed sheet underneath them and they were tied to the frame with some of the pieces of jute that weren't broken.


Her she is, all taken apart, stuffing gone and in need of a couple of minor repairs, before I put her back together again with new webbing, stuffing and fabric, and I'm not sure yet, but maybe new springs. Time to find an online upholstery supply store.



This project was surprising easy so far. One step at a time, it makes complete sense. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Cherylinn said...

That's pretty cool. I love the burlap that's too funny.

SusanE said...

Horse hair, how cool is that. Imagine the horses are long dead, but you have their hair.

Neat!