Saturday, April 10, 2010

It's The Little Things


Sometimes the little things can be huge. This is some of the drawers and cupboards in my kitchen. The fridge is white and the walls are an almost white shade of icy blue. See the ceramic floor tiles, grey-blue and white. The pulls are all dark ivory, bordering on yellow.


Perhaps some of you don't have a problem with this style of pulls. I hate them, and I hate knobs on the drawers.


Why, you ask. First of all they're kind of frou-frou for my taste.


Adjective

frou-frou (comparative more frou-frou, superlative most frou-frou)

  1. Frilly; heavily ornamental; fancy; overly elaborate, particularly as regards clothing.

But that's not the main reason. This is the part that really makes me crazy. Not being freakishly tall, pockets and other decorative bits of clothing catch on the pulls and tear.


I started looking for new pulls quite some time ago. I was shocked to find that the kind that I liked were in the $4 - $6 range ... each. I needed 41 of the little devils.

This past week, we got the Lee Valley (Yay!) catalogue for April 2010, and they had drawer pulls on sale .... the kind I liked and had been looking at .... 10 for $6. I couldn't believe my eyes.


No more caught pockets. White instead of the yellow-y colour, so they look MUCH better, despite the Mister's mocking.

You be the judge!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7 comments:

Laura said...

I knew exactly what you were going to say. I got pockets caught on the old pulls all the time. And I was going to suggest Lee Valley, only to read farther and find you went on your own - great minds think alike.

Fiddling Granny said...

Getting the Lee Valley catalogue is like when I was a kid and the Christmas catalogues would show up!

I've gotten a lot of my tools from them.

Laura said...

Good analogy between the two catalogues. I enjoy the gardening catalogue and odd items you won't get anywhere else. We went to LV when we were down at IKEA in the winter and enjoyed it but it never occurred to me to look for knobs there!

Cherylinn said...

I love the new ones....

SusanE said...

I didn't know they were called "pulls"

Sounds like getting a Lee Valley catalogue is like getting a Mountain Equipment Coop one. Twice a year... heaven in a stapled bundle.

SusanE said...

Oh I like the new ones better too.

Gryper said...

They are way better and on sale, what a bonus. You're luckier than a dog with, OH never mind.